Re: [netmod] Y18: fix "when" expression context problem

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Wed, 21 January 2015 13:28 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:28:17 +0100
Subject: Re: [netmod] Y18: fix "when" expression context problem

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I had an action point to clarify the evaluation order of when
> expressions, in Y18.
>
> I have updated Y18 with this proposal, in 7.19.5:
>
>   OLD:
>
>   The result of the XPath expression is converted to a boolean value
>   using the standard XPath rules.
>
>   NEW:
>
>   The result of the XPath expression is converted to a boolean value
>   using the standard XPath rules.
>
>   If the XPath expression references any node that also has associated
>   "when" statements, these "when" expressions MUST be evaluated first.
>   There MUST NOT be any circular dependencies in these "when"
>   expressions.

I think this sufficiently specifies the order of evaluations.

I am now looking at the last bullet in sec. 7.9.15. The old (6020) text
worked for the case when the node instance was present in the data tree,
while the new text proposed in Y18 seems to cover the situation when the
context node is missing. Maybe these two should be combined?

  NEW:

   o  If the "when" statement is a child of any other data definition
      statement, the context node is the node in the accessible tree for
      which the "when" statement is defined. If no such node exists, it
      is tentatively created with no value and no children.

Hmm, but what is the context node when *multiple* instances exist? This
could happen if the when statement is on a list or leaf-list node.

Lada