Re: [104attendees] PRG Departures Experience

Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com> Tue, 02 April 2019 13:19 UTC

From: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 09:19:28 -0400
Cc: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>
To: 104attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [104attendees] PRG Departures Experience

A late report, but maybe of interest for next visit.

My flight out was on Brussels Airline at 6:40am to Brussels.  I took a taxi at 4:00am, got to the airport at 4:20.  Many of the counter positions were marked Closed at that hour, though there was a very long line at the Lufthansa positions.  Brussels Airline positions would open at 4:40am.

About 4:45am, two positions opened up for Brussels Airlines.  I was in the bag check-in line until 5:50am.  (The Lufthansa line was just clearing at that time.) Proceeded through the checkpoint and got to my gate at 6:10am (it was a long walk) just as they announced boarding would begin.  I met other IETF-ers who took a 4:30am taxi and beat me to the gate - because they had advanced status with the airline.  Note to self: arriving at PRG 2 hrs before flight is advisable, but more than 2 hrs early may find the counters are not yet open.

We took off about 30 min late because there was a passenger who was “not fit” to travel.  Security and an ambulance were called.  A flight attendant told me that the man was inebriated “to the point of coma”, but he did walk himself off.  (Do not drink and fly?)

I connected to a US flight in Brussels, with a 3 hour lay over, so I was not worried at the delay.

In Brussels, my departing flight was in the B area.  I took the escalator up to the B area, to be met by a long line that doubled back on itself at the top of the escalator, with no view of what awaited at at the end.  The end of the line turned out to be an immigration area with a set of switchback roped lines.  In total, that line took took an hour.

The departure screen said the gate had been changed to B6.  Another long walk to the gate.  Turned out the boarding pass Brussels Airlines gave me was not correct and I got a new one at the transfer desk. The transfer desk also told me the gate had changed to gate B10, and put me through a perfunctory security check which earned me the all important passport stamp.  Then the gate changed to B9.  Then the gate changed back to B6. (An airport game to keep the passengers occupied and out of the bars?)

All in all, the three hour layover at BRU was not overly generous.  There were several other passengers in the immigration line who had much shorter layovers, some of whom started jumping the line in an effort to make their flight.   Note to self:  allow lots of transfer time when leaving the EU.

At landing at IAD, the immigration line took 40 min.

Lots of long lines and long walks.

—Sandy