Re: [105attendees] IETF 105 Network Information

Job Snijders <job@ntt.net> Sun, 21 July 2019 05:08 UTC

From: Job Snijders <job@ntt.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 01:07:56 -0400
To: Sean Croghan <sean@xagsolutions.com>
Cc: "105attendees@ietf.org" <105attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [105attendees] IETF 105 Network Information

Dear Sean, Warren, Rob, NOC team, attendees,

I’d like to offer my compliments for how the IETF 105 network is set up
from an internet routing perspective. This is very exciting. It is a joy to
see IETF work be applied in context of IETF meetings themselves.

Attendees can run a quick test by going to the following URL:
http://ripe.net/s/rpki-test/

It appears (and the NOC confirmed) the meeting network is rejecting RPKI
invalid BGP announcements. This is awesome.

But as a result, we as attendees don’t have access to a set of IP addresses
/ destinations which are covered by misconfigured RPKI ROAs. There are a
few thousand of such routes in the BGP Default-Free Zone. Usually, the lack
of ability to access to a few thousand prefixes out of the ~ 700K routing
table would be cause for deep concern. Operators don’t like it. The number
may seem to high from an intuitive perspective.

However, it appears those prefixes aren’t really in use, or global
reachability isn’t a priority for those resource holders. The perfect
outcome of the deployment of RPKI Origin Validation on the IETF network is
that attendees say “we didn’t notice a difference”.

It’s 2019, RPKI Origin Validation isn’t yet the norm, but the internet
industry is getting there. I recommend everyone to use this opportunity to
take a look at destinations you care about, or perhaps take home with you
the observation that this type of configuration doesn’t cause you issues,
and consider deploying yourself too!

Kind regards,

Job