[109-newcomers] IETF 109 Newcomers' Information

IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org> Mon, 09 November 2020 21:15 UTC

From: IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
To: 109-newcomers@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2020 13:15:09 -0800
Subject: [109-newcomers] IETF 109 Newcomers' Information

The start of the IETF 109 meeting is a week away and, while we wish we were gathering in Bangkok together, we are still expecting to have a very productive and rewarding virtual meeting. Please read below for information on IETF 109 newcomers events and programs.

  1. Quick Connections
Quick Connections is a facilitated session that enables small group conversations between newcomers and experienced IETFers. It is a very effective way for you to be introduced to a variety of IETF participants — often working group (WG) chairs — who can help you get more involved in your areas of interest.

Time/Date: Thursday November 12 @ 05:00 UTC (24:00 EST, 06:00 CET, 12:00 ICT/ Wed 21:00 PST)
Location: IETF 109 Gather
Sign-up here: https://forms.gle/TrHZxzUzgD7npXEC7

  2. Newcomer Coffee Breaks
The IETF Newcomers’ Coffee Breaks are 20-minute gatherings where you can quickly meet other newcomers and experienced IETFers. Share thoughts on how your week is going or ask any questions that you might have. Coffee breaks will take place in the IETF 109 Gather space. If you have not used Gather previously, you are encouraged to review the introduction.

Tuesday, November 17 @ 07:00 UTC (02:00 EST, 08:00 CET, 14:00 ICT/ Monday 23:00 PST)
Thursday, November 19 @ 08:30 UTC (24:30 PST, 03:30 EST, 09:30 CET, 15:30 ICT)

You can add these events into your calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_g200mtc5v6vemqsvq5nmcds9g8%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles

  3. Other Resources
If you’ve not done so yet, please take a few minutes to watch the excellent “Top 10 Things to Know Before Your First IETF Meeting” video: https://ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/meetings/.  While IETF 109 Online is different from most meetings (in that it will be conducted entirely online) much of the advice still applies! We also strongly encourage you to review The Tao of the IETF, which is available online at https://www.ietf.org/tao.html.

The IETF Guides Program matches experienced IETF participants with newcomers in order to aid their integration into the IETF community. You can find more information at: https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/guides/. You can request a guide here: https://guides.ietf.org/guides/request_guide.

If you missed the Newcomers webinars from last week, you can review the recording at: https://youtu.be/7VwwDT8-TZw

Additional Resources: Additional IETF 109 resources for newcomers are available here: https://ietf.org/how/meetings/109/newcomers/.

Best,
IETF Secretariat