[111-newcomers] IETF 111 Newcomers Information

IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org> Thu, 08 July 2021 20:56 UTC

From: IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
To: 111-newcomers@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2021 13:56:13 -0700
Subject: [111-newcomers] IETF 111 Newcomers Information

The start of the IETF 111 meeting is a few weeks away and, while we wish we were gathering
in San Francisco together, we are still expecting to have a very productive and rewarding
virtual meeting. Please read below for information on IETF 111 newcomers events and programs.

1. Newcomers Webinar
The Newcomers introduction presentation will  help provide a brief overview of how to
prepare for the IETF 111 meeting week.  More importantly, we will give you the opportunity
to ask any of the questions you may have during the Q&A sessions:

Link to Introduction presentation video:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC86T-6ZTP5hFWNekiZYEYwEqVWB-cwfr

Newcomers’ Q&A Session #1
-  Tuesday, July 13 @ 12:00 UTC (05:00 PST, 08:00 EST, 14:00 CET, 21:00 JST)
Join here:  https://ietf.zoom.us/j/86280004468

Newcomers’ Q&A Session #2
-  Thursday, July 15 @ 23:00 UTC (16:00 PST, 19:00 EST/ Friday, July 16 @ 01:00 CET, 09:00 JST)
Join here:  https://ietf.zoom.us/j/82176031401

Newcomers’ Q&A Session #3
-  Thursday, July 22 @ 16:00 UTC (09:00 PST, 12:00 EST, 17:00 CET, 24:00 JST)
Join here:  https://ietf.zoom.us/j/89642310574

2. Online Escape Room
We are excited to announce a new networking activity for IETF 111: an online escape room!
AMS (the IETF Secretariat) has built an online escape room in Gather.town, and we are
inviting teams of eight to play together. Teams will consist of four IETF newcomers
and four experienced IETF participants. If you enjoy looking for clues and solving puzzles,
this is a great event for you. The escape room will take approximately one hour to complete,
and will be offered:

- Tuesday, July 20 @ 15:00 UTC (08:00 PST, 11:00 EST, 17:00 CET, 24:00 JST)
- Tuesday, July 20 @ 23:00 UTC (16:00 PST, 19:00 EST/ Wednesday, July 21 @ 01:00 CET, 08:00 JST)

Sign-up here: https://www.ietf.org/forms/newcomers-escape-room/

3. Newcomers Coffee Break
The IETF Newcomers Coffee Breaks are 20-minute gatherings where you can quickly meet other
newcomers and experienced IETFers. Share thoughts on how your week is going or ask any questions
that you might have. This will take place in the IETF 111 Gather space. If you have not used
Gather previously, you are encouraged to review the introduction.

-   Tuesday, July 27 @ 21:00 UTC (14:00 PST, 17:00 EST, 23:00 CET/ Wednesday, July 28 @ 06:00 JST)
-   Thursday, July 29 @ 23:00 UTC (16:00 PST, 19:00 EST/ Friday, July 30 @ 01:00 CET, 08:00 JST)

4. IETF Guides
The IETF Guides Program matches experienced IETF participants with newcomers in order to
aid their integration into the IETF community. You can find more information
at: https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/guides/. You can request a guide
here: https://guides.ietf.org/guides/request_guide.

5. Other Resources
If you’ve not done so yet, please take a few minutes to watch the excellent
“Top 10 Things to Know Before Your First IETF Meeting”
video: https://ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/meetings/.
While IETF 111 Online is different from most meetings (in that it will be conducted entirely online)
much of the advice still applies! We also strongly encourage you to review The Tao of the IETF,
which is available online at https://www.ietf.org/tao.html.

You can add these events into your calendar:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_s3uoj1qu7v3r4r93sdiglftjpg%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles

Additional resources for newcomers are available here: https://ietf.org/how/meetings/111/newcomers/.

Best,
IETF Secretariat