[112-newcomers] IETF 112 Newcomers Information

IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org> Thu, 14 October 2021 17:53 UTC

From: IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
To: 112-newcomers@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:53:14 -0700
Subject: [112-newcomers] IETF 112 Newcomers Information

The start of the IETF 112 meeting is a few weeks away and, while we wish we were gathering
in Madrid together, we are still expecting to have a very productive and rewarding
virtual meeting. Please read below for information on IETF 112 newcomers events and programs.

1. Newcomers’ Survey
We would like to kindly ask you to complete a short survey. Your feedback will help us identify
what improvements should be made to the Newcomers’ experience:
https://ietf.iad1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6gJPWGrALZjdQKW

 2. Newcomers Webinar
The Newcomers introduction presentation will  help provide a brief overview of how to
prepare for the IETF 112 meeting week. More importantly, we will give you the opportunity
to ask any of the questions you may have during the Q&A sessions:

Link to Introduction presentation video:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC86T-6ZTP5hFWNekiZYEYwEqVWB-cwfr

Newcomers’ Q&A Session #1
-  Monday, November 1 @ 19:00 UTC (12:00 PT, 15:00 ET, 20:00 CET/ Tuesday, Nov 2 @ 04:00 JST)
Join here: https://ietf.zoom.us/j/84179477705

Newcomers’ Q&A Session #2
TBD

3. Online Escape Room
We are excited to announce a fun networking activity for IETF 112: an interactive online escape room!
AMS (the IETF Secretariat) has built an online escape room in Gather.town, and we are
inviting teams of eight to play together. Teams will consist of four IETF newcomers
and four experienced IETF participants. If you enjoy looking for clues and solving puzzles,
this is a great event for you. The escape room will take approximately one hour to complete.
Sign-up link will be shared shortly.

4. Newcomers Coffee Break
The IETF Newcomers Coffee Breaks are 20-minute gatherings where you can quickly meet other newcomers
and experienced IETFers. Share thoughts on how your week is going or ask any questions that you might have.
This will take place in the IETF 112 Gather space. If you have not used Gather previously, you are encouraged to review the introduction.

-   Tuesday, November 9 @ 14:00 UTC (06:00 PT, 09:00 ET, 15:00 CET, 23:00 JST)
-   Thursday, November 11 @ 15:30 UTC (07:30 PT, 10:30 ET, 16:30 CET/ Friday, Nov 12 @ 00:30 JST)

5. IETF Guides
The IETF Guides Program matches experienced IETF participants with newcomers in order to
aid their integration into the IETF community. You can find more information
at: https://www.ietf.org/about/participate/guides/. You can request a guide
here: https://guides.ietf.org/guides/request_guide.

6. Other Resources
If you’ve not done so yet, please take a few minutes to watch the excellent
“Top 10 Things to Know Before Your First IETF Meeting”
video: https://ietf.org/about/participate/get-started/meetings/.
While IETF 112 Online is different from most meetings (in that it will be conducted entirely online)
much of the advice still applies! We also strongly encourage you to review The Tao of the IETF,
which is available online at https://www.ietf.org/tao.html.

Join the Newcomers Slack Channel below!:
https://app.slack.com/client/T03SESPS0/C01ECBHPWFR
Workspace: ietf.slack.com

You can add these events into your calendar:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/c_dsjcs1r6q429bd2dg80it8gi4s%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Additional resources for newcomers are available here: https://ietf.org/how/meetings/112/newcomers/.

Best,
IETF Secretariat