[16NG] Re: AD review of draft-ietf-16ng-ps-goals

"Syam Madanapalli" <smadanapalli@gmail.com> Sun, 09 September 2007 17:18 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=OImiOMJG0Kv5N9ovzZ95f5r7Z7zOLud3LsUHkG/4NZU=; b=pUUzSV2HCpXozI734usu+Oj4zvbA0KzyhaKp6ZfqJjO+WplqQbukeMZFhh7oldATlHqCKEelegYTjU5zmjXgmPs58wS3tfvbI0rS7V7q3Ct/6oHt6WVGCqaArN9mo+kriWBX0tUiblwlQNM4aFT+5tEpNsAO1ylT8kdtOuys4ns=
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:48:38 +0530
From: Syam Madanapalli <smadanapalli@gmail.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Cc: 16ng@ietf.org, draft-ietf-16ng-ps-goals@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [16NG] Re: AD review of draft-ietf-16ng-ps-goals

Hello Jari,

On 9/9/07, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
[cut]

> Substantial:
>
> > This Ethernet like link model assumes that underlying
> > link layer provides the equivalent functionality like Ethernet, for
> > example, native broadcast and multicast.  It seems feasible to apply
> > the 802.16's Ethernet CS to configure this link model.  However,
> > there exists a discrepancy between the assumption from the Ethernet
> > like link model and the 802.16's MAC feature which is connection-
> > oriented and not providing multicast and broadcast connection for IP
> > packet transfer.
>
> Why would this be any different traditional wired & switched ethernet
> case? There is no native multicast over a set of wires...

As far as Ethernet is concerned, I think, running IEEE 802.1D is obvious.
The intention here is to explicitly mention that the native multicast is not
available and may need mechanisms like IEEE 802.1D.

> >    Blocking ARP or the address resolution of NDP needs to be implemented
> >    by SS itself in an implementation manner.
> There is no mention of such blocking in the 16ng's IPv6
> document (ipv6-over-ipv6cs). Would blocking NDP packets
> break IPv6 NUD?

A host using IPCS cannot send ARP packets over IEEE 802.16 connections.
Of course, ARP is not required in this case.

> >    Because MAC address is not used for transmission in case of IP CS, it
> >    is unclear whether source link layer address need to be carried in
> >    the RS (Router Solicitation).  The RS may need to have source IP
> >    address specified so that the RA (Router Advertisement) can be sent
> >    back.  This may require the completion of the link local address
> >    configuration before sending an RS.
> Why would you need the source address? This is the point-to-point
> link model...

Earlier, we have been thinking about shared link model. Also, IEEE 802.16
requires IP address for establishing MAC connections. To overcome this,
WiMAX forum defined Initial Service Flow (ISF) which can be used for NDP.

> > If there
> >    exists multiple ARs (so the default routers), it is unknown if the
> >    NUD is required if an AR is not serving any 802.16 MAC connection.
>
> How can you have multiple devices at the end, if this is a
> point-to-point link?

Now, point-to-point link model is chosen, so this does not hold good.

And yes, we need to rewrite the text for these.

Thanks,
Syam