Re: [16NG] Re: multicast and IPv6 over ETHCS

"Jihoon Lee" <jhlee@mmlab.snu.ac.kr> Mon, 15 January 2007 00:32 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:31:59 +0900
From: Jihoon Lee <jhlee@mmlab.snu.ac.kr>
To: qiangieee@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [16NG] Re: multicast and IPv6 over ETHCS
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org, 16ng@ietf.org

Hi Qiang,

Let me add on a few more words. As you know, normally ETH switches and IP
routers don't forward multicast/broadcast packets back to their source port.
It's based on assumption that local multicast has already done locally in
the network which is connected to the source port.

Let's say an multicast packet sent by an 802.16 MS is delivered to an ETH
bridge or IP access router. It will be forwarded to other ETH/IP interfaces
(ports), but may not be forwarded to its source interface. However, there
may be other MSs which have never receive the packets, since the source
interface is actually connected to an 802.16 link layer. As I understood,
the question starts from here; why doesn't 802.16 link layer support uplink
multicast/broadcast? Then, which entity could handle this?. Anyway it has to
be specified.

There must be various feasible solutions. Regarding per-MS(service flow) IP
tunnel, the tunnel end point may differentiate the source MS. I'm not sure
that there has ever been a firm resolution made. Whatever the
solution made, it should be transparent to IP/ETH layer. Moreover, the
link-layer performance in terms of air bandwith efficiency is also
important.

Best regards,
Jihoon