[16NG] Re: multicast and IPv6 over ETHCS

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Mon, 15 January 2007 12:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:24:08 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: Jihoon Lee <jhlee@mmlab.snu.ac.kr>
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org, 16ng@ietf.org
Subject: [16NG] Re: multicast and IPv6 over ETHCS

Hi Jihoon,

Jihoon Lee wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Sorry for my late response. Basically I agree with your opinion. An
> IPv6 node requires a link local multicast address in order to perform
>  DAD, ND, and RA.
>
> Contrary to our expectations, 802.16/16e don't support UL multicast
> (which means an MS forwards data directly to other MSs in the same
> cell).
>
> (BTW, I think I need to clarify the UL multicast I mentioned. I
> believe you already know this: the multicast/broadcast which is sent
> by an MS  to other MSs in the same cell (BS) cannot be supported in
> 802.16. However, other MSs in another cell (BS) may receive this
> since the 802.16 backhaul (WiMAX ASN) may multicast/broadcast at ETH
> or IP layer.)
>
> I agree that the document needs to specify how to deal with this
> problem.

Yes, I think the IPv6-over-ETHCS document should make clear the
assumption of IPv6 using link-layer multicast for IPv6.  I don't think
the IPv6-over-ETHCS document should solve the problem you mention above
between parenthesis (uplink mc, or mc between BSs) at link layer.

The IPv6-over-ETHCS document could list the behaviour of ETHCS it
expects.  Ie:

-when MS sends NS to a IP solicited-node multicast address the node who
  has joined group must receive it.
-when BS or AR advertises an RA to all-nodes multicast address then all
  SSs who have joined that group must receive it.
-mapping an IPv6 link-local multicast address should happen (eg sending
  a packet to IP dst ff02::1 should have the link-layer dst
  33:33:33:0:0:0:1).

The document IPv6-over-ETHCS should list what are the means for SS to
_join_ a link-layer multicast group.  There are few of them (send a
link-layer message, send a MLD message, establish a local filtering
rule, always receiving all packets, etc).

But I don't think the IPv6-over-ETHCS document should specify the
link-layer behaviour for an implementation of ETHCS link-layer
multicast.  Do you agree with this latter item?

Alex