Re: [16NG] Request for review of draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16 from a DSL perspective

Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com> Mon, 05 January 2009 16:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:02:13 -0600
From: Frank Xia <xiayangsong@huawei.com>
To: "Riegel, Maximilian (NSN - DE/Munich)" <maximilian.riegel@nsn.com>, g_e_montenegro@yahoo.com, Mark Townsley <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16@tools.ietf.org, 16ng@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [16NG] Request for review of draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16 from a DSL perspective
Sender: 16ng-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Max

Happy new year!

Please see my in-line reply...

BR
Frank
----- Original Message -----
From: "Riegel, Maximilian (NSN - DE/Munich)" <maximilian.riegel@nsn.com>
To: "ext Frank Xia" <xiayangsong@huawei.com>; <g_e_montenegro@yahoo.com>;
"Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
Cc: <draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16@tools.ietf.org>;
<16ng@ietf.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:33 PM
Subject: RE: [16NG] Request for review of
draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16 from a DSL perspective

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your comments. We would appreciate to get some more
information on your general comments to reach better understanding for
making appropriate modifications in the document.

1) What would be the benefits of putting the public access
recommendation part into a separate Informational RFC on 'IPoETHo802.16
access in Broadband Networks'? Common broadband access networks e.g. DSL
accesss according to TR-101 can be configured either way, in public
access configuration or for Transparent LAN Service. I have the feeling
that the document would end up quite similar to the
draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802-dot-16 document.
Is there anything, we should add in informational annexes to adapt the
applicability better to broadband access networks?
Frank=>You have  constructive recommendation to Broadband Network,
however,  I don't see the consistence with on-going technical choice
in Broadband network.  Just I highlighted in my email, you recommends
different users SHARE a IPv6 prefix, IMHO, it is not the case in Broadband
Network.

Even in IPoETHo802.16 access scenario, user isolation principle is
also supposed to be observed.  That is , different subscriber
is supposed to have different VLAN (or other mechanims, such
as MAC force forwarding..) .

I am not clear how to implement these in BRAS/DSLAM/SWITCH
after my reading this document.
is BRAS needed to extend to support PKM authentication?
is any GRE tunnel required for traffic between DSLAM and BRAS?
is any extra interface needed such as R6 in WiMAX ?
However, these clarificiations are not very related to this document,
while they are helpful when applying  IPoETHo802.16 to Broadband Network.

2) We agree that distributed bridging functionality is hard to implement
when a centralized database is needed. This led to the current approach
to show the applicability of the distributed bridging architecture in
the public access scenario, when forced forwarding allows to concentrate
the data base in one particular location. It seems, more extensive
considerations on the bridging architecture may be helpful for better
understanding the issues. Would you agree that we should provide more
text on the pros and cons of centralized vs distributed bridging
architectures.
Frank=>I dont know if it is proper when we design a STANDARD
while leaving some important issues for implementer.
I prefer to having a choice based on the WG talents.

Bye
Max