Re: ISOC/IETF *ARE* International Bodies[was: PAB nIANA facts]

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> Mon, 15 June 1998 09:00 UTC

Delivery-Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 05:12:01 -0400
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 02:39:48 +0100
From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com>
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>
CC: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>, Camillo.Pasquariello@mci2000.com, pab@gtld-mou.org, gtld-discuss@gtld-mou.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: ISOC/IETF *ARE* International Bodies[was: PAB nIANA facts]

Masataka san and all,

Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Dave;

> > >ISOC and IETF are already [and always have been]
> > >international bodies!!
> >
> > For some people, the term "international" refers to "between nations" as in
> > requiring treaties and the like.  That is, the word is a formal term of art
> > and they do not like having it used in other ways.
>
> Here, it's enough to say that decisions made by USG or some
> organization solely operated by people under US legislation
> are US-local, not international, decisions.

  Well yes and no actually.  The White Paper was clear in it's inclusion of
the International Internet community.  Although the new non-profit corporation
will be incorporated in the US.  This doesn't mean that All of the internet
community
is not included.  The White Paper makes this very clear.

> > The IAHC originally was
> > tasked to work on iTLDs, where the 'i' meant internaional.  This point of
> > sensitivity about the word was why we changed to 'generic'.
>
> IAHC was not thoroughly international, but it successfully drafted a
> truly international framework of POC/PAB/CORE.

  That IAHC framework was a dismal failure for the stakeholders and the
internet community as a whole.  Both the GP and the white paper pointed that
out quite clearly.  Their framework was not an open and inclusive framework.

> > Similarly, the IETF has considerable global standing, but it is not a formal
> > treaty organization.
>
> IETF and World Series of baseball games are, in some sense, global.

  Well the World Series of baseball, doesn't include teams from all over the
world.  Only in the US and Canada.

>                                                         Masataka Ohta

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.