[5gangip] Live demo: SRv6 user plane in mobile core

Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhavain@huawei.com> Wed, 10 October 2018 19:50 UTC

From: Arashmid Akhavain <arashmid.akhavain@huawei.com>
To: "5gangip@ietf.org" <5gangip@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:49:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.193.61.47]
Subject: [5gangip] Live demo: SRv6 user plane in mobile core

Hi everyone,
Last year, I presented a live demo to a few groups of the audience from the DMM WG and showed the concept behind the anchorless mobility (data plane) through the use of ID-LOC architecture and common cloud PUB/SUB technologies.

During IETF 102 in Montreal, we presented draft-camarillo-dmm-srv6-mobile-pocs and talked about putting together a proof of concept to show the use of SRv6 in in both 4G EPC and 5g mobile core user plane. We have been working on this proof of concept and were wondering if there is interest on the mailing list to see this POC live via a remote WebEx conference call. The demo is not long and will take about 30-45 minutes. However, we will gladly reserve more time on WebEx if there are people who would like to present slide materials or have further discussions on the subject.
We are currently aiming to setup this conference call sometime between Oct 15-19. Please let us know if you are interested so that we can secure sufficient conference ports on WebEx.  Meanwhile here is a brief description of the demo:
We use OAI open source LTE software in conjunction with a modified version of the VPP SRv6 stack in our demo. The first phase of our work focuses on the migration path from existing GTP IPv4 based user plane to SRv6 based user plane. We employ SRv6 gateways (both physical,  and virtual) along the user plane adjacent to eNodeB and SPGW to seamlessly carry the user traffic over SRv6, eliminating UDP and GTP header and without any modifications to 3GPP control plane.

The demo is up and running in our lab and we can arrange for multiple sessions if need be.
Looking forward to your response,
Best regards,
Arashmid Akhavain