Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine

Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com> Tue, 27 March 2007 16:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:13:24 -0700
To: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>, Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

At 11:44 AM -0500 3/26/07, Nicolas Williams wrote:

>  Current demographics shouldn't be weighed too heavily as IETF meetings
>  might help stimulate broader participation from locals.

I have to disagree.  I think Fred is correct on this point: we should
aim for holding meetings that are near the people who are currently
doing the work.  There are a number of standards bodies that do the
bulk of their work in the meetings.  The IETF isn't like that -- it
is possible to do a fair bit of work on the mailing lists.

Encouraging new people and people in new areas to start working in
the IETF is a good thing, but should be done using tools other than
the location of the IETF meetings themselves.  Meeting time is too
limited to spend it this way.  Most groups meet for two hours, and
that time needs to be focused;  people need to be familiar with the
issues before they walk into the  meeting room.

>  And as you point out hotel options matter.  Many of us work late hours
>  during IETF meetings, so being able to stay at the conference hotel
>  matters

I agree.  Plus running into people in the lobby or other areas helps
a lot, as a lot of the IETF work gets  done in informal meetings.

--
Randall Gellens