Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Tue, 27 March 2007 16:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:31:55 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

Randall Gellens wrote:
> At 11:44 AM -0500 3/26/07, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>
>>  Current demographics shouldn't be weighed too heavily as IETF meetings
>>  might help stimulate broader participation from locals.
>
> I have to disagree.  I think Fred is correct on this point: we should
> aim for holding meetings that are near the people who are currently
> doing the work.  There are a number of standards bodies that do the bulk
> of their work in the meetings.  The IETF isn't like that -- it is
> possible to do a fair bit of work on the mailing lists.

I strongly agree with you.
The EDU team is providing training, there are lots of WEB pages,
and it costs nothing to participate on the mailing lists.
That is plenty of encouragement to newcomers to participate.
Meetings should be planned for the existing members.

> Encouraging new people and people in new areas to start working in the
> IETF is a good thing, but should be done using tools other than the
> location of the IETF meetings themselves.  Meeting time is too limited
> to spend it this way.  Most groups meet for two hours, and that time
> needs to be focused;  people need to be familiar with the issues before
> they walk into the  meeting room.
>
>>  And as you point out hotel options matter.  Many of us work late hours
>>  during IETF meetings, so being able to stay at the conference hotel
>>  matters
>
> I agree.  Plus running into people in the lobby or other areas helps a
> lot, as a lot of the IETF work gets  done in informal meetings.

Indeed.  It would be great if the hotel had a decent bar
so it is easier to have more effective Bar BoFs, but this
is not something we can count on, as Prague Hilton demonstrated
for us.

Chris Elliot suggested that since we use this list to comment
extensively on the local drinking establishments, why not research
and then designate one as the "Bar BoF Bar"?

Andy