[68ATTENDEES] Returning to Prague (was: Re: Hilton Prague)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 24 March 2007 14:46 UTC

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:46:29 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: 68attendees@ietf.org
Subject: [68ATTENDEES] Returning to Prague (was: Re: Hilton Prague)

For those expressing a desire to return --soon and often-- to
Prague and his hotel, one thought...

I like the hotel and the staff and the facilities.  I mostly
like the city.   Under the right circumstances, I'd be delighted
to come back.

I am also sympathetic to, and agree with, those who say "if you
decide to come into a particular culture, you accept the norms
of that culture and work with them".

However,..

I think there are issues about health and accessibility that
supercede _any_ other considerations of meeting site choices.
In order to have effective IETF meetings that are open to all
participants and contributors in the IETF, we must put
health-related criteria above all others.   If a country or city
or hotel does not, or cannot, provide an environment in which
people can attend a meeting for a week without the certainty of
serious and immediate health damage from the atmosphere (indoor
or outdoor), I will defend their right to make that decision,
but the IETF should not even consider meeting there.   If a
facility and city are not largely wheelchair-accessible, the
IETF should not even consider meeting there.  And so on
(although I don't think the list is very long).

There may be tradeoffs if a facility can provide a truly
effective smoke-free environment or adequate mobility
accommodations -- telling an IETF participant that he or she may
not be able to comfortably leave the meeting hotel for a week is
unattractive, but may not be a showstopper if there are adequate
facilities within the meeting hotel.  But telling people that
the cannot attend and participate and remain healthy is, from my
perspective, just not acceptable if we have any other possible
choice.

In the case of Prague, we heard the argument many times in the
week before the meeting that this choice of city was reasonable
because there are lots of participants in Europe and, to a
European, one city is as good as another.  Ok.  But, if one
believes that, then there is no excuse for going to a city that
hasn't accepted growing norms, even in Europe, about indoor air
quality (or, for that matter, accessibility standards or
anything else that belongs on this short list of absolute
priorities.

Even the "need to look at the people various visa regulations
will keep out" issue is, to me, secondary to this one even
though I consider that one very, very, important and hope we
will never again hold two consecutive meetings that de facto
exclude the same people.

I am luckier than Randy because my body's potentially serious
reactions to small amounts of tobacco smoke can be kept within
reasonable levels by a combination of caution and drugs.  But I
don't like some of the drugs and, more important, they
significantly reduce my ability to function (as some people may
have noticed this week).  To either of us, this type of
environment is a fairly clear "don't come and participate
remotely if at all" message.   I do not believe IETF should be
delivering that message, especially to active contributors.

    john