Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine

Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com> Mon, 26 March 2007 16:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 11:44:20 -0500
From: Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams@sun.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [68ATTENDEES] Travel Fairness Doctrine
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 07:50:08AM +0200, Fred Baker wrote:
>                                                         That's not
> the objective. The objective is, as you say, fairness among those who
> already do.

The objective should be to maximize IETF participation from people who
want to participate while being "fair."

Current demographics shouldn't be weighed too heavily as IETF meetings
might help stimulate broader participation from locals.

Holding an IETF meeting in an expensive city does not help, even if that
city is near to many participants, unless there are no inexpensive
cities near them.  Thus Prague is a much better location in continental
Europe than Paris, for example (my food expenses in Prague pale by
comparison to Paris).  Of course, transportation options should be part
of the equation as well, so Paris may still be a better location than
Prague (though airfare in Europe is quite reasonable nowadays).

And as you point out hotel options matter.  Many of us work late hours
during IETF meetings, so being able to stay at the conference hotel
matters (which means venue size and expense matters), and if that cannot
be then late hour transportation and safety matters too.  (I did not
stay at the conference venue hotel at Prague, but I was not far and
could take the metro or walk and did not mind; others may not have
enjoyed that as much as I did.)  I'm not sure where I'd rank Prague on
that basis as I enjoyed late night walks there, but that's quite
subjective; Minneapolis is certainly OK.

Nico