RE: [68ATTENDEES] Returning to Prague (was: Re: Hilton Prague)

"Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s@rad.com> Sun, 25 March 2007 07:21 UTC

Subject: RE: [68ATTENDEES] Returning to Prague (was: Re: Hilton Prague)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:20:55 +0200
From: Yaakov Stein <yaakov_s@rad.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: 68attendees@ietf.org

> I observe that for every person with a complaint there have been two
saying they loved it. I'm listening to those people as well.

OK, if you are listening.

My experience with the hotel was great.
The staff was courteous, helpful, and efficient (even the plumber who
did not always any English).
This is quite unlike my experience with the Hilton Anatole where I was
charged for restaurants I did not visit;
it took several hours to remove these charges from my bill before
checkout, and then they simply turned up
as an additional charge to my card. It took a further 2 weeks of
telephone calls to get that cancelled.

I did not experience any smoke problems, although I am very senstive to
smoke.

I walked around a bit and was not pickpocketed. In fact, I don't know
anyone who was.
This contrasts with Vienna and Paris venues - for each of which I
personally know several people
who were robbed.

The meeting rooms were "satisfactory plus".
(In a quite unrelated remark - I have been back to sites where IETFs
have been for other conferences,
and although often the WiFi works well, no other conference seems to
understand the need to spread
around electric receptacles. I remarked about this at a recent
conference and was told that they did not
want to encourage people to do their email instead of listening to the
talks. The result is that
at refreshment breaks everyone scrambles for outlets, often sharing one
with four or five receptacle multipliers.
So thanks to the IETF for the electricity.)

For me it was an easy 4-hour direct flight. San Diego requires an 18h
flight to LAX
and then a connection, and ends up taking me 24 hours each way.
For any US site that I reach via JFK airport I now have to leave at
least 3 hours for the connection,
making most US sites a hardship.

Prague is lovely (I took the 3-hour tour, too bad it was off-season and
the night tour was not running).

I too vote to come back.

Y(J)S