Re: [6gip] 6G in 3GPP?

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 14 January 2021 08:55 UTC

To: "Sri Gundavelli (sgundave)" <sgundave@cisco.com>, "Flinck, Hannu (Nokia - FI/Espoo)" <hannu.flinck@nokia-bell-labs.com>, "6gip@ietf.org" <6gip@ietf.org>
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 09:55:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [6gip] 6G in 3GPP?

Le 13/01/2021 à 17:00, Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) a écrit :
> I have the same question. What is 6G? I am looking for the
> definition. Minimally, is 6G more about radio, or about a certain
> type of mobility architecture?

For my part, I think this:

6G is mainly about the air interface between an end user personal
equipment (or set of IP-enabled personal equipments) and a fixed base
station relatively nearby.

It is not a radical view.  It is like this that were the first digital
networks (as opposed to analog) for telephones.

The bandwidth is in the order of 600Gbyte/s.  The round-trip latency is
about 1micro-second.

6G benefits from the use of new codecs beyond SC-DMA of 5G, and larger
widhts of the band at higher frequencies.  Maybe the frequencies used
are at Terahertz range (as opposed to 5G's Gigahertz, or tens of
Gigahertz range) and the width of the band  would be in the Gigahertz
range (as oppposed to 5G's hundreds of MHz range).

The 6G is mainly a wireless access network.  The core network used to
connect the 6G wireless access is a network not designed by 3GPP, is
free of tunnels, and is a universal flat core network that can plug into
6G wireless access as much as it can plug into BBF-designed networks for
home, or STIN (Space-Terrestrial) networks.

That is what I think is 6G.

That 6G might have something to do about mobility architecture.  It is
something about mobility architecture and IP.  The mobility architecture
should be in the 6G base station, but maybe(?) nothing in the core
network that plugs into 6G.

What do you think there would be in a 6G mobility architecture?

Alex