[6lo] Updating the subject, and some comments (Re: Call for adoption of draft-wachter-6lo-can-00 by 6Lo WG)

"Carles Gomez Montenegro" <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu> Thu, 17 October 2019 16:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 18:16:33 +0200
From: Carles Gomez Montenegro <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu>
To: Alexander Wachter <alexander@wachter.cloud>
Cc: 6lo@ietf.org
Subject: [6lo] Updating the subject, and some comments (Re: Call for adoption of draft-wachter-6lo-can-00 by 6Lo WG)

Dear Alexander,

Thanks for your new Internet Draft submission!

As a chair, I would like to clarify one procedural detail. When working
group (WG) chairs want to verify whether there exists WG consensus for
adopting a document as a WG document, the chairs issue a (somewhat) formal
"Call for adoption" email. It must be noted that your email below does not
correspond to a "Call for adoption" in the usual terms, and at this stage
you rather *mean* "Call for feedback".

Other than that, and with or without a particular hat, I think that what
you wrote below (and in the draft) is already useful to start assessing
whether 6Lo is the appropriate WG for your document. By the way, the CAN
MTU characteristics do correspond to significant constrainedness!

It is very positive that there exists already a reference implementation
available.

I have a few clarifying questions:

- What type of power sources can we expect for CAN devices?

- What bit rate/rates is/are typical in CAN?

- What kind of errors (e.g. due to BER) can we expect? Would CAN be
categorized as a lossy technology, or rather as a very low error rate
technology (e.g. Ethernet-like)?

Thanks,

Carles