Re: [6lo] RESEND: Reveiw of draft-ietf-6lo-privacy-considerations-00

AbdurRashidSangi <rashid.sangi@huawei.com> Wed, 24 February 2016 07:10 UTC

From: AbdurRashidSangi <rashid.sangi@huawei.com>
To: "6lo@ietf.org" <6lo@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 07:09:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.151.40]
Cc: Kerry Lynn <kerlyn@ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [6lo] RESEND: Reveiw of draft-ietf-6lo-privacy-considerations-00

Dear all,

Suppose if a particular use case requires more frequently the arbitrary use of randomly generated IIDs then enormous amount of DAD cycle would be created.

Although, MAC driven IIDs (RFC2464, RFC2467, RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572, RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC5121 and RFC5072) needs less or no amount of DAD but in practice such IID generation is discouraged "draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-09 AND I-D.ietf-6man-ipv6-address-generation-privacy" as the privacy concerns (Network activity correlation, Location tracking, Address scanning and Device-specific vulnerability exploitation) still persist. More preferred approach is to use RFC7217 for same purpose.

Unlike for DAD the 6LBR, providing the status (= 1) and needs the LN to regenerate an IID which ultimately require another DAD cycle, 6LBR (according to RFC7217) suggest a unique IID for LNs using its own (6LBR) secret key?

Wouldn't it be a better approach?

Cheers,
Rashid Sangi.