Subject: [6lo] Running 6lo on DECT-2020 NR+
From: Christian Amsüss <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2025 13:49:52 +0100
List-Id: "Mailing list for the 6lo WG for Internet Area issues in IPv6 over constrained node networks." <6lo.ietf.org>

Hello 6lo group,

since RFC8105 has been published, ETSI has completed a new iteration of
the DECT standard, markeded as DECT-2020 NR+, technically ETSI TS
103-636-1 and -v5 (those are the IP-relevant ones), which unlike the ULE
used in 8105 merely coexists with (and is not part of the same stack as)
the classical DECT service.

Their codepoint allocations reserve an "endpoint value" (multiplex point
for different protocols) fo 0x8003 for compressed IPv6 datagrams
following RFC6282, but no document for details -- for example, RFC8105
talked about how their 40- and 20-bit addresses could or could not be
used, and what level of assembly is expected from the DECT layers. For
comparison, DECT-2020 uses long 32-bit and short 16-bit addresses (now
random), and hop-by-hop retransmission and fragmentation/reassembly.

While I think that some choices in how to actually do 6lo over DECT-2020
have obvious deductions from RFC8105, some (such as address
reconstruction or considerations for the DECT mesh) could need explicit
spelling-out.

Do you known of any public or WIP documents or efforts to fill those
gaps?

Best regards
Christian

[1]: https://portal.etsi.org/PNNS/Protocol-Specification-Allocation/DECT-2020-NR-Endpoint-Multiplexing-Addresses

-- 
To use raw power is to make yourself infinitely vulnerable to greater powers.
  -- Bene Gesserit axiom