[6lo] Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Sun, 12 May 2019 13:54 UTC

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time@ietf.org, Samita Chakrabarti <samitac.ietf@gmail.com>, Shwetha Bhandari <shwethab@cisco.com>, 6lo-chairs@ietf.org, 6lo@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 06:54:26 -0700
Subject: [6lo] Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-04: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-deadline-time/

DISCUSS:

This should be easy to explain and clear up, but I have to ask, as I don’t see
anything about it in the document: what deters entities from using this with a
short deadline time in order to get expedited delivery, when they don’t need
it?  How does this help a network if, ultimately, every transmission specifies
a very short deadline time?

COMMENT:

In the Introduction, please expand “BLE” on first use.

In “Terminology”, you’re citing RFC 8174, but not usng the new BCP 14
boilerplate from there.  Please copy/paste the new boilerplate.

— Section 5 —

The definition of “TU” is out of order; please move it so it’s in the same
order in the definitions as in the block.

Why is DTL the length *minus 1*?  Doesn’t that invite mistakes?  Is there a
reason not to make it the length, and to say that 0 is not a valid value?