[6lo] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-6lo-fragment-recovery-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 19 February 2020 21:49 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6lo-fragment-recovery@ietf.org, Carles Gomez <carlesgo@entel.upc.edu>, 6lo-chairs@ietf.org, carlesgo@entel.upc.edu, 6lo@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 13:49:05 -0800
Subject: [6lo] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-6lo-fragment-recovery-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6lo-fragment-recovery-13: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6lo-fragment-recovery/

DISCUSS:

[ Be ye not afraid - this should be easy to address.]
"datagram_size: The size of the datagram in its Compressed Form before it is
fragmented. The datagram_size is expressed in a unit that depends on the MAC
layer technology, by default a byte." and: "Fragment_Size:  10-bit unsigned
integer; the size of this fragment in a unit that depends on the MAC layer
technology.  Unless overridden by a more specific specification, that unit is
the octet, which allows fragments up to 1024 bytes."

I spent quite a while going though the document, looking at the 13 places where
you use 'byte' and 3 where you use 'octet', trying to figure out if there is a
reason that different terms are used. Normally I'd just say "meh, these are
synonyms" and ignore it, but in this particular specification (because of the
"by default" / "Unless overridden") I think it is actually important.... Can
you standardize on one of the other, or provide more explanatory text if there
is a reason?

COMMENT:

Thank you for a useful and interesting read -- I really enjoyed this document.

I do also support Benjamins "I think we should be more clear about whether a
"FULL bitmap" always has 32 bits set to one, or if "merely" having as many bits
as the sender sent fragments set to one also counts as "FULL". " comment, and
had something very similar drafted...