Re: [6lo] Focusing the charter

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 14 June 2013 17:39 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "6lo@ietf.org" <6lo@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 13:38:50 -0400
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Subject: Re: [6lo] Focusing the charter

    >> I admit to being confused... why did we close 6lowpan again?  Why
    >> not just re-open it with a new charter?

    Carsten> 6LoWPAN was focused on getting IPv6 working on top of IEEE
    Carsten> 802.15.4.  That work is done, and the IETF tends to close
    Carsten> WGs when their work is done.

I didn't think it was exclusive to 15.4, but rather to low power links
that had too small MTUs.

So, the small-MTU problem being solved, we move on.
What in the end does the "l" and "o" in 6lo mean?

    >> So I share your concern.  I think that this is a KARP-like thing.

    Carsten> Sounds like trouble :-)

My point is that KARP is a Routing Area WG doing security work.
I think that if 6lo is doing secure join, it's just fine that it occur
in INT.  Further, secure join it seems likely that TLS (in EAP or DTLS
forms) is going to be involved, and tweaks to *TLS will occur.

    >> I question whether we need 6lo and the DTLS group.  I think that
    >> is easier to just ask for two 2 hour slots for one group, than to
    >> ask for a 2.5 hour slot for each of two groups of the same
    >> people.

    Carsten> I'm not sure it's the same people.  DICE people would be
    Carsten> (or inevitably become) TLS experts. Little of that is

We might not start with the same people, but if we don't wind up with
a group of people having a single conversation, (and agreeing to a set
of design compromises) then we will fail.

    >> And 6tsch is also likely to proceed.

    Carsten> 6tsch is a more narrowly focused undertaking that wants to
    Carsten> make use of some newly standardized radio technology (TSCH
    Carsten> mode of IEEE 802.15.4e) to build more deterministic

I'm pointing out 6tsch, not because it is overlapping, but because there
are a finite number of WGs that the IETF can support.