Re: [6lowpan] FW: TID in ARO [was: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO]

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 21 April 2011 21:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:40:18 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: nicolas.riou@schneider-electric.com
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] FW: TID in ARO [was: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO]

On 4/21/11 7:30 AM, nicolas.riou@schneider-electric.com wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Comments in line...

DAD works fine with what we have in ARO.
If the same EUI-64 (re)registers the same IPv6 address, then it is not a
duplicate.
If a different EUI-64 tries to registers an IPv6 address (already
registered with some other EUI-64), then it is a duplicate.
That is independent whether the check is done in a 6LR or 6LBR.

What do you see as the problem with DAD? Can you provide an example of
what doesn't work with 6lowpan-nd?

> The TID can fit in "reserved" field of ARO/DAR/DAC and thus can come
> at no cost.

FWIW Complexity is the true cost, because unneeded complexity leads to
non-interoperability for no benefit.

> Thanks to the lollipop mechanism defined in 6lowpan-nd-07 the TID can be
> implemented even in the most constrained devices which might not be able
> to consistently increment the TID.

The lollipop stuff is not proven technology. It existed in an early
draft of OSPF, and was replaced. I assume it was replaced for a reason.

Any proven TID scheme would require stable storage on the device, so
that the device doesn't accidentally reuse old TIDs too soon. I don't
think we want to require that capability on all 6lowpan hosts, just
because it is perceived too hard to have RPL keep track of things.

    Erik