Re: [6lowpan] 6lowpan-nd-15 node mobility and default router(s)

Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com> Mon, 13 June 2011 08:11 UTC

From: Zach Shelby <zach@sensinode.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:11:12 +0300
To: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
Cc: "6lowpan@ietf.org" <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] 6lowpan-nd-15 node mobility and default router(s)

Esko,

On May 23, 2011, at 12:24 PM, Dijk, Esko wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A comment on Section 1.3 of 6lowpan-nd-15, last bullet:
>
> When a node moves away from the registered default router, it SHOULD first de-register by
> sending a registration message with zero lifetime and then
> registers with a new default router that is reachable

This text was meant as an example of how to handle intra-domain mobility when registered with a single default router. You are correct that a host can be registered to multiple default routers (and this is recommended). This text in 1.3 shouldn't have been normative as you point out. The normative text for this was already in Section 5.5, so I will remove this from the assumptions. I added the bit about using a suitably short lifetime to Section 5.5 as that was missing there.

Thanks,
Zach