Re: [6lowpan] Mesh under routing and Neighbor Discovery

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com> Fri, 08 June 2012 14:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:07:12 -0400
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@labs.htt-consult.com>
To: Myung Jong Lee <lee@ccny.cuny.edu>
Cc: "6lowpan@ietf.org" <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Mesh under routing and Neighbor Discovery

Further on this.

My understanding is that 802.15.5 is NOT being used by anyone.

Zigbee has their own mesh methodology.  I do not have the documents, but
as it was described to me, it is based on path discovery after network
admission.

There is a new Mesh Under Routing Interest Group in 802.15, with a call
for submissions for for the July 15th meeting.  This IG is not yet on
the document server, it seems the submissions are being posted under the
WNG SG:

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.15/documents?is_group=wng0

So far there is one submission:

https://mentor.ieee.org/802.15/dcn/12/15-12-0268-01-wng0-l2-routing-demands-for-fan.ppt

Mesh under IS out of scope for IETF and 6lowpan.  It IS in scope for
802.15.  Unfortunately to play in IEEE, you have to pay.  That is attend
a meeting. Though the document server is publicly available.

Oh the chair for this study group is Clint Powell, cpowell@ieee.org.

On 06/04/2012 11:40 PM, Myung Jong Lee wrote:
> Hi Damien and all,
>
> Though I am not an active member for 6lowpan, I just like to note that
> there  is a "mesh under" routing standard, IEEE 802.15.5 a recommended
> practice, completed in 2009. You may take a look at it. It is built on
> IEEE 802.15.4b and sitting below IP layer.    I believe it could be
> one of the feasible approaches for mesh under technologies. For the
> details, you may refer to the standard itself or the paper, " IEEE
> 802.15.5 WPAN mesh standard-low rate part: meshing the wireless sensor
> networks," IEEE JSAC, Vol 28, No. 7, 2010 .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Myung
>

> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Samita Chakrabarti
> <samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com
> <mailto:samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Damien,
>     Please find responses in-line.

Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Advisor
Security & Standards
Verizon Business Systems
C:248-219-2059
F:248-968-2824
E:robert.moskowitz@verizonbusiness.com

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who
gets the credit