Re: [6lowpan] questions about lowpan_nhc fields

minister@dei.unipd.it Fri, 15 April 2011 08:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:03:05 +0200
From: minister@dei.unipd.it
To: Colin O'Flynn <coflynn@newae.com>
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] questions about lowpan_nhc fields

I understand it,
but there are some other questions that I struggle with.
Let's talk about fragmentation header:
in this discussion
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6lowpan/current/msg02327.html
authors explain their doubts about datagram_size field in RFC 4944.
Since in draft I found only this sentece about it:

Section 5.3 of [RFC4944] also defines how to fragment compressed IPv6
    datagrams that do not fit within a single link frame.  Section 5.3 of
    [RFC4944] defines the fragment header's datagram_size and
    datagram_offset values as the size and offset of the IPv6 datagram
    before compression.  As a result, all fragment payload outside the
    first fragment must carry their respective portions of the IPv6
    datagram before compression.  This document does not change that
    requirement.  When using the fragmentation mechanism described in
    Section 5.3 of [RFC4944], any header that cannot fit within the first
    fragment MUST NOT be compressed.

I would like to have a confirm about how I think the compression and
fragmentation works.
Let me say I am the 6lowpan (2.5) layer, and I take  a datagram from
the upper layers. IPv6 and UDP add their headers without knowing
anything about me and my presence between data-link layer and them. So
I have a datagram with 8 byte of UDP header and 40 byte (even more if
there is an extension header) of IPv6 header.
I start compressing IPv6 header and, if it is possible, extension
and/or UDP headers, now I have a compressed header and application
layer payload.
If the total length is less than the data-link MTU, I fill a single
data-link message and I send it.
If the total length is bigger than data-link MTU I have to come back,
calculate the size of compression header (IPv6, extension and UDP
headers) ask me if they suit in a single data-link message