Re: [6lowpan] Fwd: Re: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO

Samita Chakrabarti <samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com> Mon, 25 April 2011 19:00 UTC

From: Samita Chakrabarti <samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com>
To: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@sonic.net>, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, "nicolas.riou@schneider-electric.com" <nicolas.riou@schneider-electric.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:00:04 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 6lowpan <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Fwd: Re: "Advertize on Behalf" flag in ARO

Hi Pascal and Nicolas,

I am in agreement with the following reasons (by Erik) as to why we don't want to add the TID/sequence#
in the ARO message. As discussed many times in the wg that the goal of this 6lowpan-nd work is to provide simple optimized neighbor discovery functionality of the low-power IPv6 network. This is independent of routing protocol functionalities such that it works with multiple routing protocols on top of it.

If RPL  or other routing protocol needs a specific information to pass around, it could do that as an option aka future extension of 6lowpan-nd. We already decided/presented in the Prague wg meeting and the consensus was to  move forward with the 6lowpan-nd as it is plus the editorial changes discussed at the meeting slides.

Besides the dependency of 6lowpan-nd on a specific routing protocol( such as RPL or backbone routing), I have a major concern including a feature like sequence# in the ARO message at this point for supporting a corner case without knowing its larger impact.

As for MIP, I am not sure if we want to run MIPv6 as it is in the 6lowpan network. Our design goal for 6lowpan-nd-basic is to provide the core functionality and then build things on top of it on a modular basis as needed.
Please help in proceeding toward the basic 6lowpan-nd work done first.

Best regards,
-Samita