Re: [6lowpan] WG adoption of draft-patil-6lowpan-v6over-btle-01.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 01 April 2011 21:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 23:26:14 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: 6lowpan@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] WG adoption of draft-patil-6lowpan-v6over-btle-01.txt

Le 01/04/2011 14:15, Robert Cragie a écrit :
> Alex,
>
> RFC4944 and 6lowpan-hc form an adaptation layer between IPv6 and,
> currently, 802.15.4.

A-ha.

> To be clear:
>
> BT BR/EDR is not 802.15.4, BT LE is not 802.15.4, BT BR/EDR is not BT
> LE (MAC or PHY)

Ok; you may see some technical differences, you may direct me to the
technical differences.

> So each MAC/PHY needs its own considerations when it comes to an
> adaptation layer.

Ok, yes, when it comes to an adaptation layer; the adaptation layer is
called "lowpan" in rfc4944.  Yes, "lowpan" adaptation layer would need
to be well adapted on each different MAC, one being BT-LE.

But I am talking pure IPv6 straight over bluetooth, without "lowpan".
That IPv6 over bluetooth works ok without lowpan, with "bnep".

The meeting presentation slides say "BNEP can be optionally used between
compressed IPv6 and BT-LE L2CAP".

I agree.  Moreover, bnep can also be used ok to run IPv6 over bluetooth
without lowpan, without compressed IPv6.  Is "lowpan" some better than
"bnep"?  Why would one prefer "lowpan" instead of "bnep"?  Thanks for an
indication.

> My feeling is that many concepts could be abstracted and maybe
> written in a common document but ultimately, there will be three
> different adaptation layers.

Ah... more adaptation layers...

> Also "bluetooth is to 802.15.4 what wifi is to 802.11" - completely
> wrong comparison. Bluetooth has nothing to do with 802.15.4.

Yes they do: they're both PAN.

Alex