Re: [6lowpan] Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle-08.txt> (Transmission of IPv6Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy) to Proposed Standard

"Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com> Wed, 11 July 2012 16:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 18:16:13 +0200
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: 6lowpan@ietf.org, "Ralph Droms (rdroms)" <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Last Call: <draft-ietf-6lowpan-btle-08.txt> (Transmission of IPv6Packets over Bluetooth Low Energy) to Proposed Standard

Overall this is a good document and I support its approval. A few items
should be clarified before approval, please see below:

1. In the introduction:

>  In addition,
   IPv6 provides tools for autoconfiguration, which is particularly
   suitable for sensor network applications and nodes which have very
   limited processing power or a full-fledged operating system.

Did you actually mean to say 'nodes which have very limited processing
power or lack a full-fledged operating system'?

Also - what do you exactly mean by tools for autoconfiguration - is this
only about stateless IP-address autoconfiguration or (also) something
else?

2. In Section 2.1 - GAP stands for Generic Access Profile (as in the
text) or Generic Attribute Profile (as in the diagram)?

3. Section 2.3 we have

> ' A Bluetooth Smart device such as a sensor may use
   a public (obtained from IEEE Registration Authority) '

and then in 3.2.1

>  'The 48-bit public bluetooth
   address is globally unique and provided by the IEEE registration
   authority.'

These are slightly inaccurate. The individual addresses are not directly
assigned by the IEEE-RA. This authority only assigns OUIs to vendors
(first 24 bits of an address) which then are responsible on
administrating their own space (the last 24 bit) to generate unique
addresses. Actually another sentence in 2.3 gets it right when it says:

> ' The public address is created
   according to the IEEE 802-2001 standard [IEEE802-2001] and using a
   valid Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) obtained from the IEEE
   Registration Authority.  '

4. I do not believe that the requirement to BT SIG for the allocation of
an L2CAP channel ID needs to be mentioned in the IANA Considerations
section as it has nothing to do with IANA.

Regards,

Dan