Re: [6tisch] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr> Wed, 25 March 2020 21:38 UTC

From: Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 22:37:57 +0100
Cc: Tengfei Chang <tengfei.chang@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-6tisch-msf@ietf.org, 6tisch <6tisch@ietf.org>, 6tisch-chairs <6tisch-chairs@ietf.org>, "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Ben,

There has been an extensive discussion on this issue in the WG. As Tengfei stated, since MSF operates exclusively at L2, reading DSCP values from the IPv6 header would constitute a layer violation. It was decided that MSF would implement the recommendation from draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security by recommending the rate limit on DSCP-tagged traffic, at IPv6 layer as outlined in Security Considerations. That said, other scheduling functions that may operate higher up in the stack, e.g. to establish end-to-end tracks between nodes in a mesh, may adhere to this requirement from minimal-security. Therefore, for the sake of future scheduling functions that may get standardized, it was deemed appropriate to leave the recommendation in minimal-security as-is.

Hope that clarifies.

Mališa