Re: [6tisch] New Version Notification for draft-karaagac-6tisch-int-00.txt

Abdulkadir Karaağaç (UGent-imec) <Abdulkadir.Karaagac@UGent.be> Tue, 14 January 2020 14:55 UTC

From: =?utf-8?B?QWJkdWxrYWRpciBLYXJhYcSfYcOnIChVR2VudC1pbWVjKQ==?= <Abdulkadir.Karaagac@UGent.be>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>, "yatch1.tanaka@toshiba.co.jp" <yatch1.tanaka@toshiba.co.jp>, "Jeroen Hoebeke (UGent-imec)" <Jeroen.Hoebeke@UGent.be>
CC: "6tisch@ietf.org" <6tisch@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 14:55:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.193.238.216]
Subject: Re: [6tisch] New Version Notification for draft-karaagac-6tisch-int-00.txt

Dear Yatch,
Thanks for the comments and your interest!

- L3 seems a better place to implement such a mechanism than L2. L2 has no idea whether the packet (frame) under process is going toward the border router nor not.
-> In addition to what Pascal pointed out, we aim to minimize the resource usage and the impact on the forwarding behavior (especially for critical data). For instance, an entry insertion in the L3 may easily lead to 6lowpan fragmentation which causes extra packets. But here at L2, we avoid it any means.

- we need two Node IDs, source (sender) Node ID and destination (receiver) Node ID, to express a link
-> Maybe, we should consider more packet-oriented. Maybe, it is not harmful if we don’t know which link is exactly used for some packets.
-> Or maybe we can already infer the link information from the Node-IDs of the following INT entries.

- we may want 64-bit Node ID
-> If you consider INT data (including Node IDs) insertion in every hop towards the BBR, 64bit Node-Ids will be too costly. The frames will become full easily which will decrease the INT insertion frequency. That is why we considered 8-bit IDs in the first hand.

- Do you have an implementation of a scheduling algorithm using this proposal? I cannot immediately see how useful the default set of data defined in Table 1 is... Why isn't link PDR listed there...? I may miss something...
-> No we don’t have a scheduling algorithm using this yet. But we implemented and validated this mechanism as an efficient monitoring solution that could serve to any kind of scheduling mechanism.
->  Maybe our paper ("In-Band Network Telemetry in Industrial WirelessSensor Networks") can be useful to see what could be achieved with the given set of data. And we totally agree that other metrics could/should be added.

Kind regards,
Abdulkadir