Re: [6tisch] MSF / 6top - Error Handling for Bandwidth Allocation exceeding available capacity

Yasuyuki Tanaka <yasuyuki.tanaka@inria.fr> Tue, 25 September 2018 09:23 UTC

From: Yasuyuki Tanaka <yasuyuki.tanaka@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:23:44 +0200
Cc: Yasuyuki Tanaka <yasuyuki.tanaka@inria.fr>, "6tisch@ietf.org" <6tisch@ietf.org>
To: Christian Hopfner <christian.hopfner@pcm.endress.com>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] MSF / 6top - Error Handling for Bandwidth Allocation exceeding available capacity

Hi Christian,

Indeed, there is no return code found in draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12 for such a case.

> Node C indicates a 6P ADD to node A which is answered with 6P_SUCCESS but with an empty cellist (2-step transaction). I guess next time node C can try 3-step transaction giving node A the opportunity to propose a cellist.
> In case Node A has no cells to propose the response should contain RC_ERR_CELLLIST error correct?

Node A can respond with an empty cell list to the ADD request to indicate that it cannot give any candidate cell to add. The 6P draft implies this, although the text assumes only 2-step ADD transaction.

(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-6top-protocol-12#section-3.3.1)
>    CellList can be used).  In all cases, node B MUST send a 6P Response
>    with return code set to RC_SUCCESS, and which specifies the list of
>    cells that were scheduled following the CellOptions field.  That can
>    contain NumCells elements (succeed), 0 elements (fail), or between 0
>    and NumCells elements (partially succeed).

Then, you can do something on receiving an empty cell list in the response message for a 3-step ADD transaction.

> If there would be an error code signaling “out of bandwidth” the SF may trigger a parent switch towards a neighbor which can handle the required traffic.

Best,
Yatch