Re: [6tisch] xxx-bootstrap

Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr> Thu, 15 December 2016 10:19 UTC

From: Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:19:46 +0100
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org
Cc: 6tisch <6tisch@ietf.org>, sandeep kumar <sandeep.kumar@philips.com>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] xxx-bootstrap

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments. See my responses inline.

Mališa

> On 15 Dec 2016, at 09:56, peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Malisa,
>
> I read the 6tisch-minimal-security draft.
> I do have some detailed questions, which probably have to do with my reading things which are not there.
>
> If I understand correctly, the Join response returns the link2 keys to secure the the links between JN, JA and possibly other neighbours of JN.

Yes, that’s correct.

> Consequently, that means during the whole bootstrap process the link between JA and JN is not secured by layer2 keys.

This is still under discussion within the design team, but the conclusion is the same — we can’t provide any L2 security at that point because L2 keys are simply not known. One option is to use well-known K1 to provisionally protect the join packets at L2 but this of course does not provide any security other than helping to bootstrap L2. Another option is for JA to simply accept unsecured packets at L2, and make it an exception for join traffic, potentially only during the duration of the join process.

> My question concerns step 2 , neghbour discovery.
> It is mentioned that ND is executed, but it is not clear to me how that works in detail.

Yes, that needs more work. Will create an issue to update it in the next version. The ND at that point refers to a registration of JN’s link-local address at JA, in order to bootstrap the neighbor tables in IPv6 compliant way. So, in summary it refers to a single NS/NA exchange between JN and JA.

> The whole 6tisch network uses link-layer protection, while JA-JN link is not protected; Does that not need an additional protocol specifications for JA?

In Section 5, we state:

"The JN uses the initial key K1 [I-D.ietf-6tisch-minimal] until it is configured with a new link-layer key K2 as described above. JA SHOULD secure/verify DATA and ACKNOWLEDGMENT frames destined/originated at JN with K1 only during the duration of the join process.  How JA learns whether the join process is ongoing is out of scope of this specification."

Again, instead of K1 the frames between JN and JA could simply be unsecured at L2. Is this what you are referring to or would you like to see other text added?

> Do I understand correctly that during discovery the prefix is received and a global IP address is constructed to be used for the JOIN request?

No, there is no prefix information distributed at that time. This happens after the node has joined. JOIN request is sent link-local to link-local from JN to JA, and using global addresses from JA to JCE (possible because JA is already part of the network). Will clarify.

> A more global related question is why can you not transmit link-layer keys to be used for JA-JN link after the security handshake and then start ND?

As stated above, ND at that point refers to NS/NA exchange in order to register link-local address of JN before it should start sending IPv6 packets from the interface. RPL DIOs which contain prefix information are encrypted using K2 and can only be decrypted once the node has joined.

But you are right, we may not need the NS/NA exchange in case minimal-security follows Phase 1, assuming it has been done before. Will clarify in the next version.

> Other questions:
> Do you expect the JCA to be on the 6tisch network or can it be anywhere else?

There is no reason why JCE would need to be collocated with 6LBR. It suffices that JA knows JCE’s global address for the communication to take place.

> What about securing a heterogeneous network of which the 6tisch network happens to be part? The link-layer keys will not be adequate in that case.

I don’t understand the use case, could you provide some more details?