Re: [6tisch] #41 (minimal): intended status for draft minimal (was: internded status for draft minimal)

Pat Kinney <pat.kinney@kinneyconsultingllc.com> Tue, 08 December 2015 15:48 UTC

From: Pat Kinney <pat.kinney@kinneyconsultingllc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:48:13 -0600
To: Xavier Vilajosana <xvilajosana@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Thubert Pascal <pthubert@cisco.com>, 6tisch <6tisch@ietf.org>, Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] #41 (minimal): intended status for draft minimal (was: internded status for draft minimal)

Hi Xavi;

From my experience in SDOs and Alliances, the profile allows multiple vendors to create and configure devices that will interoperate with other devices and serve desired applications.  To do so, a profile defines which optional behaviors from a standard that are required (it may also declare which mandatory behaviors are required), and what configurations and parameter settings are to be used.

For instance, a profile could state that the default settings for TSCH operation as stated in 802.15.4 will be used, the PHY will be the 2.4 GHz PHY using O-QPSK modulation over 15 channels, additionally security will be used with the parameters defined by the profile.

So, from my perspective, a profile is not a standard, rather it defines how a user will use “generic” standards (e.g. 802.15.4, 6tisch, 6LoWPAN) to assure interoperability in a way that serves the stated application(s).

Pat