Re: [6tisch] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: (with COMMENT)

Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr> Thu, 07 November 2019 16:23 UTC

From: Mališa Vučinić <malisa.vucinic@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:23:22 +0100
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, 6tisch-chairs <6tisch-chairs@ietf.org>, Pascal Thubert <pthubert@cisco.com>, draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security@ietf.org, 6tisch@ietf.org
To: Éric Vyncke <evyncke@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [6tisch] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: (with COMMENT)

Dear Éric,

Many thanks for your review. You can find the responses to your comments inline and the overall diff following your review at:

https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/commits/8e04a2e442cca81c18809b5d6e88ed0d01d012ea?at=minimal-security-14 <https://bitbucket.org/6tisch/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/commits/8e04a2e442cca81c18809b5d6e88ed0d01d012ea?at=minimal-security-14>

Mališa

> On 31 Oct 2019, at 11:04, Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document. The document is easy to read. I
> have a couple of comments and nits. Feel free to ignore all of them.
>
> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> == COMMENTS ==
>
> -- Section 1 --
> Please add reference to IEEE Std 802.15.4 at first mention.

done

> -- Section 1 --
> It is unclear in this section whether the PSK is per pledge (then hitting a
> scalability issue) or shared by all pledge (then having huge security risk).
> Section 3 is clearer on this but the reader would benefit by knowing this in
> section 1.

-The configuration defined in this document assumes that the pledge and the JRC share a secret cryptographic key, called PSK (pre-shared key).
+The configuration defined in this document assumes that the pledge and the JRC share a unique symmetric cryptographic key, called PSK (pre-shared key).

> -- Section 2 --
> Please consider not using "secret key" and "symmetric key" interchangeably. Esp
> as "secret key" is often used in the context of asymmetric key.

I made the change throughout the document to use the term “symmetric key” exclusively.

> -- Section 3 --
> Unsure whether the text about provisionning "Physically, ..." brings anything
> useful.

If there is no strong opinion here, I left this text for now as in our opinion it gives an idea to the reader on how the provisioning can be done.

> -- Section 3 --
> Please add references to DHCPv6, GRASP, mDNS.

done

> -- Section 4.2 --
> It is unclear whether duplicate address detection should be done.

Section 5.6 of RFC8505 that we reference is clear on this that DAD needs not be done for link-local addresses. I added the following sentence to clarify this in our draft:

+As per {{RFC8505}}, there is no need to perform duplicate address detection for the link-local address.

> == NITS ==
>
> -- Section 4 --
> Please expand L2 at first mention.

done

> -- Section 6.1.2 --
> I am not a native English speaker but I wonder whether the word 'convergecast'
> is well-known.

rephrased to avoid the use of the term “convergecast”.

-Due to the convergecast nature of the DODAG, the 6LBR links are often the most congested, and from that point down there is progressively less (or equal) congestion.
+The 6LBR links are often the most congested within a DODAG, and from that point down there is progressively less (or equal) congestion.