[6tisch] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 30 October 2019 22:10 UTC

From: Adam Roach via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security@ietf.org, Pascal Thubert <pthubert@cisco.com>, 6tisch-chairs@ietf.org, pthubert@cisco.com, 6tisch@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:10:55 -0700
Subject: [6tisch] Adam Roach's Discuss on draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-13: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/

DISCUSS:

Thanks to everyone who invested their time in this document. I have one
blocking comment that I believe should be easy to resolve, and one fairly major
comment that should be trivial to fix.

§8.1.1:

>  o  The Uri-Path option is set to "j".

COAP URIs are generally subject to BCP 190 restrictions, which would require
the path to either be provisioned, discovered, or under the ".well-known"
tree. The use of a reserved domain name here may change the rationale; but for
the sake of not establishing a precedent for path squatting in CoAP, this
document needs to clearly explain the rationale of why BCP 190 should not
apply in this case. Alternately, the implied URI can be changed to something
like "coap://6tisch.arpa/.well-known/j"

COMMENT:

>  This document allocates a well-known name under the .arpa name space
>  according to the rules given in [RFC3172].  The name "6tisch.arpa" is
>  requested.  No subdomains are expected.  No A, AAAA or PTR record is
>  requested.

Although "No subdomains are expected" is useful text, I don't think it's
sufficient to satisfy RFC 3172's requirements of specifying "the rules for how
the subdomain is administered." I would suggest something like:

"No subdomains are expected, and addition of any such subdomains requires
the publication of an IETF standards-track RFC."