[6tisch] comments/thoughts/edits on 6tisch-architecture

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 13 December 2018 20:54 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: 6tisch@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:54:27 -0500
Subject: [6tisch] comments/thoughts/edits on 6tisch-architecture

{I did a bunch of comments a few weeks ago on my phone, but it's
a mess, and it lost a bunch of notes and I'm having to partially start over
again}

This is a summary of the changes I've suggested and/or committed:

1) ietf-detnet-use-cases is mentioned three times.
   ietf-detnet-architecture is mentioned ten times.
   They are Informational references.
   I knew that things were related, but I didn't know that so much had
   moved!  Since detnet-use-cases and detnet-architecture are in the IESG
   queue, I think that maybe some could be a normative reference if
   desired. I don't feel strongly here.
   I have only scanned the ToC of the use-cases document and architecture.
   If it's really informative, then that's all I should need to do,
   right?

2) I don't like this sentence:

   In order to enable the convergence of IT and OT in LLN environments,
   6TiSCH ports the IETF suite of protocols that are defined for such
   environments over the TSCH MAC.

I have suggested:

   In order to enable the convergence of IT and OT in LLN environments,
   6TiSCH suports a subset of the IETF suite of protocols (IP) over the
   TSCH MAC.

I've inserted "subset" to imply that one doesn't have to implement all the
protocols.  Some might think they need to fit "finger" into their mote...

3) is: "domotics" a word I don't know, or a typo?
   (section 1, last paragraph)

4) I fixed reference for IE registry to RFC8137.
5) I found the reference to "RPL applicability in industrial networks"
   a poor reference.  The 6tisch WG replaces that document, and so I think
   that we don't need further back references.
   There is a second reference about cranes in section 3.2, which I think we
   can live without.

6) I'd sure like to reference useofrplinfo in section 3.1, after:
    "Header (SRH) in non-storing mode" + as explained in useofrplinfo..
    but that would be a normative reference to a document that I can't
    promise will get to the IESG publication queue soon.  Would this MISSREF
    be acceptable?

I am continuing to read/edit-for-grammar, but I thought I'd send this email
to gather some feedback.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-