Re: [6tisch] [Ace] Optimizing EAP-over-CoAP payload

Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com> Wed, 14 October 2015 11:10 UTC

To: Alexander Pelov <a@ackl.io>
From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:40:07 +0530
Cc: 6tisch@ietf.org, Ace <ace-bounces@ietf.org>, Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>, dan.garcia@um.es, ace@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [6tisch] [Ace] Optimizing EAP-over-CoAP payload

Hi Alexander,

> Thanks for pointing your draft - very interesting work.
Thanks a lot.

> However, it seems to me that it solves only a subset of the problems
> at which EAP-over-CoAP is aimed.
You are right.
To be precise, the work I pointed out actually starts after the EAP. We
tried a propose a very lightweight version of session-key establishment
using CoAP assuming that the master keys have been previously configured
(may be through EAP!). The idea is as follows:

The DTLS protocol can be separated into two parts in terms of
functionality. First is secure session establishment and the next one is
providing channel security with inherent reliability and replay
protection. However, we think that the required exchanges in DTLS session
establishment (I am only talking about symmetric system) may be bit heavy
for really constrained networks with intermittent connectivity and
bandwidth constraint. So, we propose to push the session establishment
part to application layer (CoAP) and leverage the inherent "lightweight
yet reliable" nature of CoAP (considering the CON mode). We believe, it is
better to put more control to the application layer when you are dealing
with constrained environment. The application layer session establishment
mechanism over CoAP establishes a secure session which finally produces
the same tuple as in DTLS session establishment ,i.e, <Server_write_key,
Client_write_key, Server_IV, Client_IV>.

Then the responsibility is transferred to the transport layer and the
channel security is provided using conventional DTLS-PSK record
encryption. Thus it takes all the advantage of DTLS record encryption. The
idea is to use the best of the worlds. CoAP's lightweight-ness coupled
with record protection from DTLS. This was just an experimental work to
solve some immediate problems at hand. However, if this kind of
cross-layer approach makes sense then it may  spawn extended ideas.

 > ..... Maybe there could be some kind of cooperation .....
Its a good proposition. But we need to know if there is enough traction in
the community for extending the work. May be we can discuss if we happen
to meet in Yokohama.

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Consulting

"Ace" <ace-bounces@ietf.org> wrote on 10/14/2015 02:47:19 PM:

> From: Alexander Pelov <a@ackl.io>
> To: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <abhijan.bhattacharyya@tcs.com>, Rafa
> Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
> Cc: 6tisch@ietf.org, dan.garcia@um.es, ace@ietf.org
> Date: 10/14/2015 02:51 PM
> Subject: Re: [Ace] Optimizing EAP-over-CoAP payload
> Sent by: "Ace" <ace-bounces@ietf.org>
>
> Hi Abhijan,
>
> Thanks for pointing your draft - very interesting work.
>
> However, it seems to me that it solves only a subset of the problems
> at which EAP-over-CoAP is aimed. Most notably, it is limited to a
> specific authentication method (DTLS-PSK), whereas EAP is an
> extensible framework. Maybe there could be some kind of cooperation
> between the two, e.g. you could specify an EAP method like
EAP-DTLS-PSK-short?