Re: [6tsch] Feedback on draft-ohba-6tsch-security-00

Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es> Fri, 05 July 2013 16:16 UTC

From: Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 18:15:41 +0200
To: Rene Struik <rstruik.ext@gmail.com>
Cc: 6TSCH <6tsch@ietf.org>, Yoshihiro Ohba <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp>, Rafa Marin Lopez <rafa@um.es>
Subject: Re: [6tsch] Feedback on draft-ohba-6tsch-security-00

Hi Rene:

Thanks for your review. Let me provide some comments about your review in Section 5.

a) Regarding PANA, it is worth noting that the usage PANA here is for phase 2 KMP, which is different from phase 1. Here a node tries to establish a one hop link connection with another node. Then one acts as the PaC and the other PAA. That is why the text says:

"It is worth noting that, though this candidate solution leverages the PaC implementation from Phase-1, each node needs to deploy a PAA implementation, an EAP server and a specific EAP method, which may be different from the one used for Phase-1."

So here, you run PANA between both nodes and establish a key that you pass to IEEE 802.15.4e to protect the link. I assume you want more details about this particular point, don't you?

b) Regarding HIP-DEX, the text says that HIP-DEX would require to carry certificates and for that you need CERT parameter. So, in the end, my understanding is that HIP-DEX is not deficient to carry certificates since you would have the CERT parameter for that.

Best Regards.