Re: [71attendees] IETF in Lights

"Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com> Mon, 10 March 2008 15:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 00:24:38 -0400
From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
Cc: 71attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [71attendees] IETF in Lights
Sender: 71attendees-bounces@ietf.org

> > We're expecting them to display "Welcome IETF-71" from
> Sunday, March
> > 9th, to Wednesday, March 12th.
>
> Hi, thanks for the pointer.  I'd like to walk see this,
> somewhere along the Market street.  Sunset is 18h51.  Can it
> be seen at that time?

That time is probably fine.  The picture you attached was looking west
towards the building, on Market Street.  The building is rectangular and
your pic looks at the narrow side.  I would recommend a viewing angle
looking at the building facing south or north.  As the street grid of
the city is exactly N-S-E-W, this is easy to do.  Market Street runs
East-West, while numbered streets run North-South.

A good place to see this may be to head towards 30th Street Station on
John F. Kennedy Blvd, looking to your left at the building.  Then turn
left after crossing the river, and left again to come back Market
Street.

> Is that neighborhood a safe place to walk at that time?

At that time of day it is still fairly busy and safe (I have walked from
my office down JFK to 30th Street at midnight).  Just use normal
city-smarts that you would use in any city and you will be fine.  Thus,
stay on well-lit paths, don't go hanging out under darkened bridges,
etc.  ;-)  You are also probably better off in any place in the world
when walking with a friend.

> The photo you've attached seems nice but difficult to
> identify where it was shot from.  I guess a long telephoto
> lens was used, from some 500m or more (knowing it's tall, and
> compared with the attached google maps street view shot with
> a fisheye from 100m, East-to-West).  Any hint as to where
> that may have been shot from is appreciated.

I have no idea...

Jason