Re: [71attendees] espresso report

Christopher Small <csmall@bbn.com> Thu, 13 March 2008 19:36 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:33:46 -0400
From: Christopher Small <csmall@bbn.com>
To: 71attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [71attendees] espresso report
Sender: 71attendees-bounces@ietf.org

Ben Campbell wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2008, at 10:16 AM, Dan Wing wrote:
>
>> * Spruce Street Espresso, 1101 Spruce Street (and 11th Avenue). This is a
>> brand-new shop (their grand opening is on Saturday). They use Counter
>> Culture beans, Rio grinders, and a 3-group La Marzocco machine with a
>> bottomless portafilter. Very nice macchiato and espresso. They are roughly
>> 6 blocks from the hotel.
>>

> Robert Sparks, Adam Roach, and I tried it this afternoon, and all
> three of us concurred with your report.
>
> In my own opinion, this is one of the top 3 I have had in the US (with
> the others being Intelligentsia in Chicago and Espresso Vivace in
> Seattle.) I'd have to get them side-by-side to pick which was best.

Just got back from Spruce Street Espresso. The first ristretto (they only serve
ristretto) was quite good. I had a second one, to see if it was repeatable (it
was).

(Sorry for sending the previous msg off before finishing it -- my hands are a
little shaky after this much coffee.)

The barista was well-trained but inexperienced (accurate but slow). As Ben
wrote, the coffee compares favorably with Vivace (a personal favorite
destination) and Intelligentsia (my primary bean source).

I recommend going there on this trip if possible; I don't give them long as a
business. They only serve espresso drinks (apparently no brewed coffee, no tea),
and they have no frappuccino / flavor shot / raspberry caramel swizzle
offerings. My guess is that the owner likes a well-poured shot and is offering
it to the public, with the hope that the public will respond. My guess is that
they won't, unfortunately.

- Chris

--
Dr. Christopher Small                         617.873.6261 (vox)
Networking Research                           617.873.6091 (fax)