Re: [72attendees] New mailing list to discuss IETF Food requirements

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Tue, 26 August 2008 20:19 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:16:30 -0500
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Ole Jacobsen <ole@cisco.com>
Cc: 72attendees@ietf.org, dcrocker@bbiw.net
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

Yes, my plan is to write a document including some background and then
summarizing common requirements, which really won't be as extensive (or
demanding) as I think folks are thinking.  And, yes, there are gotchas
depending upon the venue, which is really why I think this is needed.

Dublin triggered this because many of us had eaten in the hotel
restaurants and found nicely labeled menus and found the staff very
willing and able to accommodate us. Then on Monday during lunch we found
our only option was the buffet, for which the staff were not aware of
all the ingredients or method of preparation. So, some of us had to be
very resourceful and track down a manager type or ask the workers to
accommodate us as best they could. I got a salad with somewhat old
iceberg lettuce and plain chicken, which was okay. Others found that
even french fries had been cooked in animal fat (not good for most
vegans/vegetarians and often problematic for Kosher/Halal). And, I had
more than one person comment that they only thing they could be sure of
was the Guinness (although, I'm not sure everyone was aware it is not
vegan/vegetarian!).  If we had known ahead of time, we all could have
done a whole lot more shopping in the city before the meeting. And, yes,
most of us in the end can manage (and often do) on nut butters, some
fresh fruit/veg (canned if not easily managed) and canned beans, salmon,
safe snacks that we smuggle across border, etc. if the need be.

Overall, Dublin was great as there were plenty of restaurants in the
city to accommodate us. And, the hotel was very accomodating when I
requested a refrigerator, but that unfortunately was sparsely filled
because I did not have time during the week to get to a market (online
shopping/delivery options weren't feasible as there were no detailed
lists of ingredients). And, AMS did arrange a nice salad for me for WG
chairs tutorial. But, in the end I lost about 8 pounds that week - of
course, some could say that was needed, but that doesn't make my doctor
happy.

Thanks,
Mary.
--and yes, we should continue this discussion on the ieft-food list
(@employees.org)