Re: [72attendees] Update on the Hotel's Guestroom Network

Derek Atkins <warlord@pgp.com> Mon, 28 July 2008 18:14 UTC

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:55:33 -0400
From: Derek Atkins <warlord@pgp.com>
To: David Mitton <david@mitton.com>
Cc: 72attendees@ietf.org, LANGE Andrew <Andrew.Lange@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Update on the Hotel's Guestroom Network
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

What I've just noticed about the HOTEL NAT configuration is that every
TCP connection gets a different IP address.  There's no consistency, and
certainly no long-term bindings.  So every time you hit an HTTP server
you're hitting it from a different source IP.   This is wreaking havoc
on my ability to read webmail because every time my source IP changes I
get logged out!  I suspect that your UDP VPN solution is being hit with
the same problem.

-derek

David Mitton wrote:
> In my room 38xx, I am currently unable to setup a UDP VPN connection to
> the US (so called UDP-10000 mode).  The connection is setup but I
> receive 0 packets
>
> But I was successful when I switched to using TCP, port 4005.  I'm using
> a Cisco VPN client.
>
> Dave.
>
> At 7/28/2008 10:40 AM, LANGE Andrew wrote:
>>

>> Because the heavy load on the guest room network is interacting
>> negatively with the delivery of video over IP to the TVs in the rooms.
>> Certainly CityWest has never experienced traffic loads like we're
>> generating from the guest room side, and we're likely uncovering some
>> issues in the underlying guest room infrastructure.
>>
>> The hotel staff has been working this issue since early this morning,
>> and they believe that they have fixed the underlying issue causing
>> congestion and poor TV performance.  We have lifted the rate-limit on
>> the router ports facing the guestroom network.
>>
>> There has also been a fix put in place on the guestroom network that
>> was affecting some PPTP users in their rooms.
>>
>> Both the wireless and terminal room networks, are directly over our
>> infrastructure and are unaffected by these issues with the guestroom side.
>>
>> Andrew

Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | warlord@pgp.com

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.