Re: [72attendees] Clarifying Host Responsibilities (was Re:Guestroom Network not under NOC Control)

"Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com> Tue, 29 July 2008 13:30 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:29:19 -0400
From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>
To: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com>
Cc: 72attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Clarifying Host Responsibilities (was Re:Guestroom Network not under NOC Control)
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

As the host organizer for IETF 71, I can say from very recent experience that most people would be shocked by how many volunteers, how many hours of volunteer time, and, not least, how much money it takes to sponsor and to operate an IETF meeting - to say nothing of supporting organizations such as AMS.  There is so much behind the scenes that people have no idea about, and there is months of advance preparation.  It is an exceptionally large commitment of human resources and financial resources by a host like Alcatel-Lucent, and demonstrates a host's commitment to the IETF and what we all do here in a major way.

So kudos to Alcatel-Lucent and any other future hosts of IETF meetings.  While it's perfectly normal to expect a certain level of service and so on, and fix broken things, sometimes keeping things in perspective is a good thing as well.

Regards
Jason