Re: [72attendees] Dietary restrictions

Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com> Sat, 02 August 2008 13:58 UTC

From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
To: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 06:59:06 -0700
Cc: 72attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [72attendees] Dietary restrictions
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

On Aug 1, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:
> I thought Mary had some good suggestions, such as salads where
> pretty much everyone can find something to eat.

If you try to live on nothing but typical salads, you will begin to
notice symptoms of starvation fairly quickly.   Vegetarians are not
saladatarians.   Not trying to be negative - just a point of
information.

This was the most challenging IETF for me food-wise.   I wound up
switching away from the conference hotel and staying in Tallaght,
where I was able to subsist on bread and hummus from the local Marks
and Spencers.

Having said that, I quite enjoyed the visit to Ireland.   I'd never
been before.   As Mary has said on a number of occasions, those of us
with food issues tend to be resourceful about it.   If there is any
one thing that could have made things simpler for me, it would have
been more information.   Ireland is a relative information desert on
the Internet, so I had to learn much of what I did about the venue and
environs simply by going there, or by looking at satellite photos and
trying to guess what I was seeing.   Which, I have to admit, was a lot
of fun.

Rather than demanding that we always have venues that suit every need
perfectly, it might make sense to come up with a list of heuristics
that can be used to correctly obtain the information we need about a
local area in advance of our arrival.   I say "heuristics" because
people tend to answer questions like "is there XXX kind of food
available" with "yes, that's no problem," which often isn't the case.

And as for hot water, if you get a room at any venue where the staff
are unable to solve a plumbing problem or HVAC problem, it's perfectly
reasonable to say "look, I can't stay here, please help me to find a
suitable place to stay."   If you're calm and reasonable about it, it
would be astonishing if the hotel staff were unwilling to accommodate
your needs.