Re: [72attendees] New mailing list to discuss IETF Food requirements

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Tue, 26 August 2008 19:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:13:44 -0500
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: dcrocker@bbiw.net
Cc: 72attendees@ietf.org
Sender: 72attendees-bounces@ietf.org

Actually, in the U.S., celiac, for example (and I believe diabetes) is
covered by the American Disabilities Act (section 504), since it
substantially limits the "major life activity" of eating.  So, while
IETF no longer receives government funding as far as I'm aware, it was
my understanding the organization in general follows the spirit of the
law.

I also think it's important that folks are aware that at least for the
medical restrictions, we are talking about a "need" and not a "want".
Since cookies are considered a requirement per the IETF Tao, it's
important to consider that for some of us it's not that we "want"
gluten-free or sugar-free cookies, but if we were to eat cookies, we
would "need" gluten-free or sugar-free ones.

My personal opinion is that when we stay at full service hotels, then we
should expect full service (i.e., we're at a Hilton and not a Hampton
Inn). And, per the law in the U.S. hotels are required to support the
ADA act:
http://www.ada.gov/hsurvey.htm

Regards,
Mary