Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country

Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks@iformata.com> Fri, 05 December 2008 14:15 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks@iformata.com>
To: Roni Even <ron.even.tlv@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:13:59 -0500
Cc: "73attendees@ietf.org" <73attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country
Sender: 73attendees-bounces@ietf.org

On Dec 5, 2008, at 8:53 AM, Roni Even wrote:

> This may work for one night, but try doing it a whole week, this is
> like not
> being home for the whole time.

It would be worse in my opinion.

I do a lot of work with India (10.5 hours from the US East Coast), so
I have some experience here.

A few hours per day on the phone starting at 5:00 AM EST (== 3:30 PM
IST), sure.
8 hours per day for a week starting at 10:30 PM EST would be very
problematic. Jet-lag is
tough when you IN a new time zone, with the Sun telling you when it is
day. It
is impossible (for me, at least) when you are NOT in the new time
zone. For
example, right now the morning Sun is pouring through the windows, and
if the IETF was meeting in India I should be going to bed.

Plus, many people have home or office environments where there are
disruptions at certain times of day
(e.g., kids getting ready for school) that are hard to avoid if you
are present. Whenever I attend a interim meeting or something similar
remotely I miss pieces of them due to this.

I should point out that Cisco, Polycom and Tandberg all send people to
the IETF and all have sets of Telepresence demo / rental suites around
the planet. Going to such a facility for a remote meeting would be
very attractive to me if it  was within a reasonable distance and
would be an effective form of sponsorship in kind IMO. Given the
likely time zone differences, some cots would be useful too.

Regards
Marshall