Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country

"Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz> Thu, 04 December 2008 20:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 15:38:42 -0500
From: "Rosen, Brian" <Brian.Rosen@neustar.biz>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: 73attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [73attendees] Attendance by country
Sender: 73attendees-bounces@ietf.org

I've done a lot of work on non-crappy technology.  It's pretty damn hard
to make it work. I claim, it doesn't work: large room environments
cannot be remoted successfully by any known technology regardless of
cost.

Small room remotes work, but it's expensive.  You can have 3-4 groups of
3-4 people and have a satisfactory experience.  $250K+ per room.  While
there isn't any real limit to adding more rooms, it's physically
difficult.

Desktop remotes work, and you can make that work for many more people.
The quality of the experience is not as good as the room systems, but it
works in the absolute sense: you can get real work done, and you like
it.  You can make it work with the above systems, but it doesn't work
all that well for more than one person per room.

I'll say one more thing:
Lots of people have tried to do this.  It's not easy.  Every time you
start you think "there has to be an easy way to make this work, those
other guys are stupid".  Sorry.  It's very hard.

We know a lot about what it takes.  We can describe pretty easily what
it takes.   Doing it is hard and/or expensive.

Brian